“Buy or Bye”™ – Daily Fantasy Football Plays for Week 9 2023 Cash Games
By Ha Kung Wong
In 2022, we were over 70% for cash lineups again and we’re back with more Daily Fantasy Football advice for Cash Games for Week 9 of the 2023 season!
As usual, before we get to winning you more bragging rights (and DFS cash), remember, the point of this article is not just to give you one or two lineups for each site, it’s to give you examples of a few POSSIBLE lineups. Getting exposure to a few different lineups is always a good idea, so don’t forget to mix and match additional lineups from my suggestions below. Trust me, it’s a lot more fun that way AND you’ll improve your chances of cashing!
And as we did last year, we’re also adding our top two player prop picks to help you win even MORE money!
Let’s get to winning you some CASH in Week 9 of the 2023 NFL season!
Cash Games, for those who don’t know, are essentially the lowest risk games. They include “50/50” games, in which half the entrants win about 1.8x the entry fee, and “Double Ups”, in which slightly less than half the entrants win 2x the entry fee.
Since there’s so many different sites, and I can’t cover them all, I’ve decided to cover just the most popular sites, including Fan Duel, Draft Kings and Yahoo! Daily Fantasy.
First of all, as a general rule for 50/50 Cash Games, there’s a basic target of points per salary cap spent that you’d like to look for:
- For Fan Duel try to target at least 2 fantasy points per $1000 spent.
- For Draft Kings, try to target at least 2.5 fantasy points per $1000 spent.
- For Yahoo! Daily Fantasy, try to target at least 0.6-0.7 fantasy points per $1 spent.
Remember, this article is not focused on GPP (Tournament) Games, JUST Cash Games. Feel free to use a few of these suggested players as a base when constructing a GPP lineup, but you’ll have to take some chances on a few low cost, upside players as well.
As per usual, I’m going to provide you with a few sample lineups on each site and give you a few notes to consider. You’re welcome.
So, without further to do, here are my suggestions for the Best Daily Fantasy Football Plays for Cash Games and player props for Week 9 contests, along with they’re prices.
- For those new to this column, note that I never advocate against you paying up at any particular position for DFS. We all know that the likes of Patrick Mahomes and Christian McCaffrey are probably going to have the most consistent upside in terms of potential fantasy points from week to week. But remember that DFS is a salary cap game. You can feel free to sprinkle high priced players into your lineups, but you can’t pay up at every position because there’s simply not enough salary to go around. I try my best each week to provide my thoughts on how you might want to balance your cash lineups in terms of points potential and salary.
- My approach to DFS in Week 9 is to pay up for RBs to anchor your team and fill up on value at WR and DEF with a mid-priced QB option.
- The “Free Square of the Week”™ is Demario Douglas. Douglas has 13 targets and 2 carries in 2 games since returning from a concussion, totaling 103 yards. Since Kendrick Bourne is now out for the season with a torn ACL, Douglas becomes the de facto WR1 in New England. On top of that, he gets to face a Commanders defense that has allowed the most receiving yards (1,579) and touchdowns (13) to opposing WRs. No guarantees, but I love the opportunity and upside for near minimum price across industry.
- The Dallas Cowboys @ Philadelphia Eagles game has the highest over/under of the weekend (46.5) and a spread of 3, so I’m in on most skill players here, including Dak Prescott, CeeDee Lamb, Jake Ferguson, Tony Pollard and Brandin Cooks in that order, particularly since the Eagles defense is ranked just 26th against the pass. As for the Eagles, I like AJ Brown, Jalen Hurts, Devonta Smith, Dallas Goedert and D’Andre Swift in that order, though I’m not as bullish since the Cowboys defense has been top 3 all year. I’m most interested in Brown since we know he’s hogging the vast majority of targets from Hurts.
- CJ Stroud has had some issues in his last 2 games, but he threw for over 240 yards in each of his first 5 games. The Buccaneers’ defense has allowed the 5th most passing yards (256.0) to opposing offenses, so I like the opportunity for Stroud to bounce back along with his WR1, Nico Collins.
- Alvin Kamara has been an opportunity beast since returning from suspension catching 39 of a whopping 44 targets for 228 yards and a TD in just five games, and also rushing 86 times for 320 yards and 2 TDs. Chicago defense, on the other hand, has allowed the most receiving yards (497) and receiving touchdowns (five) to opposing running backs. The Bears added Montez Sweat at the trade deadline, but that shouldn’t change anything for Kamara.
- Saquon Barkley had a ridiculous 36 carries in Week 8 and has seen at least 21 carries in each game he’s played since returning from injury. Nothing else works in the Giants defense, even with Daniel Jones potentially returning from injury this week, so load up with confidence that Barkley will get every opportunity to get yards and score.
- The Cleveland Browns get to face a Cardinals team that’s allowing 26.6 PPG. David Njoku had his best game of the season in Week 8 catching 4 of 8 targets for 77 yards and a TD, after coming off a Week 7 game where he had 54 yards on 9 targets. Regardless of who is under center, Njoku is trending in the right direction and is fairly cheap across industry.
- On defense, I love taking value and paying down, which means I like the Los Angeles Rams Defense, which is priced near minimum across industry and gets to face a Packers offense that’s ranked just 25th overall, and the New York Giants Defense, which is also fairly cheap and has been solid in the last 2 weeks, plus gets to face a Raiders offense that’s ranked just 31st overall, in addition to now starting rookie Aiden O’Connell, who has 2 INTs and 2 fumbles lost in just 6 quarters this season.
Good luck everyone with your Week 9 Cash Lineups, and I’ll see you next week for some Week 10 Cash Lineup suggestions!