“Buy or Bye”™ – Daily Fantasy Football Plays for Week 8 2023 Cash Games
By Ha Kung Wong
In 2022, we were over 70% for cash lineups again and we’re back with more Daily Fantasy Football advice for Cash Games for Week 8 of the 2023 season!
As usual, before we get to winning you more bragging rights (and DFS cash), remember, the point of this article is not just to give you one or two lineups for each site, it’s to give you examples of a few POSSIBLE lineups. Getting exposure to a few different lineups is always a good idea, so don’t forget to mix and match additional lineups from my suggestions below. Trust me, it’s a lot more fun that way AND you’ll improve your chances of cashing!
And as we did last year, we’re also adding our top two player prop picks to help you win even MORE money!
Let’s get to winning you some CASH in Week 8 of the 2023 NFL season!
Cash Games, for those who don’t know, are essentially the lowest risk games. They include “50/50” games, in which half the entrants win about 1.8x the entry fee, and “Double Ups”, in which slightly less than half the entrants win 2x the entry fee.
Since there’s so many different sites, and I can’t cover them all, I’ve decided to cover just the most popular sites, including Fan Duel, Draft Kings and Yahoo! Daily Fantasy.
First of all, as a general rule for 50/50 Cash Games, there’s a basic target of points per salary cap spent that you’d like to look for:
- For Fan Duel try to target at least 2 fantasy points per $1000 spent.
- For Draft Kings, try to target at least 2.5 fantasy points per $1000 spent.
- For Yahoo! Daily Fantasy, try to target at least 0.6-0.7 fantasy points per $1 spent.
Remember, this article is not focused on GPP (Tournament) Games, JUST Cash Games. Feel free to use a few of these suggested players as a base when constructing a GPP lineup, but you’ll have to take some chances on a few low cost, upside players as well.
As per usual, I’m going to provide you with a few sample lineups on each site and give you a few notes to consider. You’re welcome.
So, without further to do, here are my suggestions for the Best Daily Fantasy Football Plays for Cash Games and player props for Week 8 contests, along with they’re prices.
- For those new to this column, note that I never advocate against you paying up at any particular position for DFS. We all know that the likes of Patrick Mahomes and Christian McCaffrey are probably going to have the most consistent upside in terms of potential fantasy points from week to week. But remember that DFS is a salary cap game. You can feel free to sprinkle high priced players into your lineups, but you can’t pay up at every position because there’s simply not enough salary to go around. I try my best each week to provide my thoughts on how you might want to balance your cash lineups in terms of points potential and salary.
- My approach to DFS in Week 8 is to pay up for QB, RB and TE to anchor your team and fill up on value at WR and DEF.
- The “Free Square of the Week”™ is Kareem Hunt. The Cleveland Browns have the second most rushing yards per game (147.5) and starter Jerome Ford is questionable with a high ankle sprain. The Browns have signed 3 new RBs this week to their practice squad, indicating they believe they’ll need to elevate one of them for game day due to Ford’s absence. Even if Ford plays, he’ll likely be very limited, so Kareem Hunt will have plenty of opportunity either way. Hunt knows this offense and has come on in recent weeks, averaging 13.5 touches over the last 2 games and totaling 3 TDs. He’s much cheaper on Draft Kings and Yahoo, but he’s still reasonably affordable on FanDuel, so go ahead and load up.
- The Kansas City Chiefs @ Denver Broncos game has the 2nd highest over/under of the weekend (45.5) and a spread of 7, so I’m in on most Chiefs skill players here, including Travis Kelce, Patrick Mahomes, Rashee Rice and Isiah Pacheco, in that order, particularly since the Broncos allow the most yards (424.7) and most points (31) to opposing offenses per game. I’m going to avoid the Broncos for now, particularly with Jerry Jeudy and Courtland Sutton on the trade block.
- The Baltimore Ravens @ Arizona Cardinals game has the 3rd highest over/under of the weekend (44.5) and a spread of 9.5, so I’m in on most Ravens skill players here, including Lamar Jackson, Zay Flowers and Mark Andrews, in that order, particularly since the Cardinals defense is ranked just 28th this season allowing the 5th most yards (368.3) to opposing offenses per game, allowing half their opponents to exceed 30 points and allowing 3 rushing TDs to QBs, tied for most in the NFL. I’m avoiding the Cardinals this week though against the Ravens defense.
- The Commanders allow the 4th most yards (374.1) and points (27.1) per game to opposing offenses. And in Week 8, they get to face the rolling Philadelphia Eagles. Jalen Hurts has had 5 straight games of at least 277 pass yards and 21 rush yards, averaging 2.2 TDs per game over that span. I’m all in on rostering Hurts this week along with his top target, AJ Brown and his oft-targeted RB D’Andre Swift.
- Kendrick Bourne has come on huge over the last 2 games, averaging 8 receptions on 9 targets for 76 yards and getting his 3rd TD of the season in Week 7. The Patriots @ Dolphins games has the highest over/under (46.5) of the week and the Pats will likely need to play catch-up to the Dolphins for most of the game, meaning more opportunity for Bourne. The Dolphins allow 256.3 receiving yards per game, and Bourne is the number one target in New England, so I like his discounted price around industry.
- On defense, I love taking value and paying down, which means I like the Atlanta Falcons Defense, which is priced down across industry and gets to face a Titans offense that’s ranked just 28th overall and will have some combination of Will Levis and Malik Willis under center, and the Cincinnati Bengals Defense, which has been solid prior to the bye, and is coming off the bye to face an injured 49ers team without Deebo Samuel that has only managed 17 points in back-to-back weeks.
Good luck everyone with your Week 8 Cash Lineups, and I’ll see you next week for some Week 9 Cash Lineup suggestions!